Friday, January 8, 2010

on the wall

'I spent many years on the wall.' The former Vietnam pow Bob Shumaker demonstrated leaning against a wall and tapping out a code meant for fellow prisoners of war. Shumaker was interviewed on pbs' recent series 'the emotional life'. He described the blueprints for a 'dream house' that he had created in his mind to keep himself focused. 'I knew how many bricks were in each wall, then I would wonder -what would the fireplace look like against that wall- and i'd redesign the house.' It seems unbelievable that he could say, if given a choice to have the pow experience or not- he would choose the 8 years as a prisoner. 'i learned something about myself.'
Which got me thinking-what am I learning that years from now I will look back on and say, 'I'm grateful for the expereince'? Will part of my learning include standing next to a wall encouraging those around me, remembering what is good and envisioning it for the future?
When Bob Shumaker returned to the US he eventually built the house he had been planning for eight years.
What are you building and have you spent time with Spirit dreaming, praying and dancing about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment